This breakfast recipe is definitely worth getting out of bed for! Create a homemade cereal that is full of important fibre and carbohydrates with a tasty combination of oats, fruit, nuts, and seeds.
- Preparation 10 mins
- Cooking 15 mins
- Serves 6
- 1 tbsp olive oil .
- 3 tbsp of golden syrup .
- 175g (6 oz) jumbo rolled oats .
- 60g (2oz) Brazil nuts (optional) .
- 30g (10z) sunflower seeds .
- 60g (2oz) dried pineapple pieces .
- 60g (2oz) dried banana chips .
- 60g (2oz) dried apricots .
- 60g (2oz) toasted coconut flakes (optional) .
- milk or yoghurt to serve
- medium saucepan .
- wooden spoon .
- sharp knife .
- chopping board .
- non-stick baking tray .
- large mixing bowl .
- plate .
- oven gloves .
- measuring spoons
1. Chop the brazil nuts into medium-sized pieces. Remember, if you are allergic to nuts or do not like them, you can miss out this step.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Pour the oil and syrup into the saucepan. Gently warm them over a low heat until they melt together.
3. Ensure that the heat has been turned off and then tip the oats, nuts, and sunflower seeds into the melted syrup mixture. Stir until well coated.
4. Tip the oat mixture onto a baking tray. Put it in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until the edges turn golden and the oats form clusters.
5. Cut the pineapple pieces in half, quarter the apricots, and break the banana chips into small pieces. Mix all the fruit and coconut together in a bowl.
6. Spoon the oat clusters onto a plate and leave them to cool for a few minutes. Add the oat clusters to the bowl of fruit and coconut and mix them together.
Did you know: Hazelnuts are high in fibre, potassium, calcium, magnesium and vitamin E so they are nutritious as well as tasty
Serving Tip Serve: your cereal in a bowl with milk or a dollup of your favourite yoghurt.