A tortilla is a thick, flat omelette and is a popular dish in Spain. This is a twist on the classic combination of eggs, onion, and potatoes and makes a filling breakfast or perfect after-school tea.
- Preparation 10 mins
- Cooking 20 mins
- Serves 4-6 mins
- 4 good quality sausages (or vegetarian a lternative) .
- 4 medium-sized potatoes ( peeled, cooked and left to cool) .
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 cherry tomatoes ( halved) .
- 5 eggs (lightly beaten) .
- salt and pepper
- foil .
- tongs .
- chopping board .
- medium frying pan .
- spatula or wooden spoon .
- jug .
- whisk or fork .
- small sharp knife
1.Preheat the grill to mediumhigh. Line the grill pan with foil and grill the sausages all over for 10-15 mins, or until cooked through and golden brown
2.While the sausages are cooling slightly, cut the cooked potatoes into bite-sized chunks. Then cut the cooled sausages into 2.5cm (1in) pieces
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the potatoes and fry them over a medium heat for 8 minutes or until golden. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 mins
4.Crack the eggs into a jug and then beat them together. Season the beaten eggs with salt and pepper. Add the sausages to the frying pan.
5. Add a little more oil to the frying pan if necessary. Pour the eggs into the pan and cook, without stirring, for 5 minutes until the base of the tortilla is set
6. To cook the top of the tortilla, carefully place the pan under the grill and cook for another 3–5 minutes, or until the top is set.
7. Carefully remove the pan from the grill and leave to cool slightly before sliding the tortilla on to a serving plate. Cut into wedges and ser
- Did you know? “Tortilla” is the Spanish word for omelette. In Italy it is called “frittata”. However, in Mexico, “tortilla” means a thin (unleavened) bread usually made from corn